Week 06 - I AM the Good Shepherd
Life Group Questions
John 10:11-16 – 11 "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.13 He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.
Life Group Questions
1. This message series is entitled "Who is Jesus?" Share with the group how this series has given you greater insight on who He is.
2. Jesus said, "I am the Good Shepherd." Describe what that means to you.
3. Jesus often compares Christians to sheep. Why does He do that? Had you ever thought about the gap between the Shepherd and the sheep? How does that make you feel?
4. There are five key attributes of the Good Shepherd:
a. The Good Shepherd Owns His Sheep.
b. The Good Shepherd Knows His Sheep.
c. The Good Shepherd Calls His Sheep.
d. The Good Shepherd Cares for His Sheep.
e. The Good Shepherd Gathers His Sheep.
Which attribute is the most important to you right now in your life?
5. Tell the group the main thing you got out of the message.
Who is Jesus?
I AM the Good Shepherd
11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me – 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father – and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.
9 You who bring good news to Zion, go up on a high mountain. You who bring good news to Jerusalem, lift up your voice with a shout, lift it up, do not be afraid; say to the towns of Judah, “Here is your God!” 10 See, the Sovereign Lord comes with power, and he rules with a mighty arm. See, his reward is with him, and his recompense accompanies him. 11 He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.
The shepherd owns his sheep
1 Corinthians 6:19
19 You are not your own, you have been bought at a price.
• We are His because He purchased us with His own blood.
• Christians are called “His own sheep”
• Jesus refers to them as “My sheep”
• We belong to Jesus. Our life is not our own.
• We completely trust the Shepherd to protect, take care of and provide for us!
The shepherd knows his sheep
• To know – means much more than being able to identify a person.
• The good shepherd knows the names of all of his sheep.
• He also knows the nature of each of His sheep.
1 You have searched me, Lord, and You know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways.
The shepherd calls his sheep
• We are to follow Him in His way.
• He calls us through the Holy Spirit speaking to our hearts, through the Bible, prayer, circumstances and the church.
• A “spiritual ear” that is sensitive to the Word of God.
The shepherd cares for his sheep
• Our good shepherd is a visionary.
• Learn how to walk daily with the good shepherd.
• He wants each of us to mature and fulfill our God-given purpose.
The shepherd gathers his sheep
“Make every effort to KEEP the unity of the Spirit through the bonds of peace.”
• Unity in the flock, make us stronger and is under the protection of the shepherd
The Good shepherd...
Owns His Sheep
Knows His Sheep
Calls His Sheep
Cares for His Sheep
Gathers His Sheep
It is NOT difficult to confess that Jesus is Good Shepherd
It IS difficult to confess we are like SHEEP and we desperately need a shepherd
Who Is Jesus?
Come Join Us!
9:00AM and 10:45AM (Main Service)
We currently meet at Exley Elementary at 21800 Westheimer Parkway, Katy, TX 77450. See location and directions below.
WEDNESDAY NIGHTS 7:00 PM (Life Groups)