Week 05 - Lessons from Gilgal
Life Group Questions
Key Verse: Joshua 5:1-2, 12-15
1. What is the one big nugget you got out of this teaching?
2. The first key point from Sunday's teaching was learning who you really are. Pastor Paul said, "If you are going to possess all that God has for you, then you must see yourself differently." Which of the following is the most difficult for you to see (and why):
(a) I am Jesus' chosen friend. (John 15:15-16)
(b) I am salt and light to everyone around me. (Matthew 5:13-14)
(c) I am able to produce lots of good fruit. (John 15:5)
(d) I am God's masterpiece, created to do His work. (Ephesians 2:10)
3. One of the points from this teaching was learning to be flexible. Or said another way, we need to continue to grow and change. Please share an area in your life where you have recently been stretched beyond your comfort zone, but pushed on to grow and change in that area.
4. Carrying forward from question #3, please share an area in your thinking where you recently had old beliefs challenged, but you embraced this new truth and experienced wonderful growth and change.
5. Proverbs 23:7 gives us the truth that as you think in your heart [the center of your being; the real you], so you will be. As Pastor Paul said, "You will act consistent with the way you see yourself." So how have you been seeing yourself, and in what ways is that beginning to change?
6. Write down the names of 3 friends that need to know Jesus as Lord and Savior. Tell the Life Group the names. Now commit to praying for each of those people for 1 month.
Lessons from Gilgal
Now it came about when all the kings of the Amorites who were beyond the Jordan to the west, and all the kings of the Canaanites who were by the sea, heard how the Lord had dried up the waters of the Jordan before the sons of Israel until they had crossed, that their hearts melted, and there was no spirit in them any longer because of the sons of Israel. 2 At that time the Lord said to Joshua, “Make for yourself flint knives and circumcise again the sons of Israel the second time.”
12 The manna ceased on the day after they had eaten some of the produce of the land, so that the sons of Israel no longer had manna, but they ate some of the yield of the land of Canaan during that year. 13 Now it came about when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man was standing opposite him with his sword drawn in his hand, and Joshua went to him and said to him, “Are you for us or for our adversaries?” 14 He said, “No; rather I indeed come now as captain of the host of the Lord.” And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and bowed down, and said to him, “What has my lord to say to his servant?” 15 The captain of the Lord’s host said to Joshua, “Remove your sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so.
1. Learn who you really are.
their hearts melted, and there was no spirit in them any longer because of the sons of Israel.
Before we experience the joy of conquest, we must first experience His conquest of us.
Gilgal = place of rolling away
“I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you.”
You are no longer what you were!
People of purpose / People of destiny
“As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.”
You will act consistent with the way you see yourself.
“Continue to seek your identity and sense of worth through who you are in Christ.
Meditate on these daily.
I am a child of God. (John 1:12)
I am Jesus’ chosen friend. (John 15:15)
I am holy and acceptable to God. (Rom. 5:1)
I am a saint, a holy one. (Eph. 1:1)
I cannot be separated from the love of God. (Rom. 8:35)
I am salt and light to everyone around me. (Matt. 5:13-14)
I am able to produce lots of good fruit. (John 15:5)
I am God’s masterpiece, created to do His work. (Eph. 2:10)
The good work that God has begun in me will be finished. (Phil. 1:6)
2. Learn to be flexible.
The manna ceased on the day after they had eaten some of the produce of the land, so that the sons of Israel no longer had manna, but they ate some of the yield of the land of Canaan during that year.
Everything has changed
The days we are living in are days of tremendous change
Constant change is here to stay.
Chosen change – Moving only when you want. This is stubbornness.
Growth = change
3. Learn WHO God Is.
captain of the host of the Lord.”
Christ revealing Himself in the Old Testament
Possessing What's Yours
Come Join Us!
9:00AM and 10:45AM (Main Service)
We currently meet at Exley Elementary at 21800 Westheimer Parkway, Katy, TX 77450. See location and directions below.
WEDNESDAY NIGHTS 7:00 PM (Life Groups)